Thursday, March 27, 2014

humble bumble bee

Butterflies always serve as inspiration for “not famous yet,but will be famous soon” defense. Remember the story of the caterpillar who envied the butterfly? Or  the one where the caterpillar was teased by fellow worms as being ugly and always eating ? The caterpillar spends the day munching on leaves,crawling,wraps itself in a cocoon and goes to sleep (to sleep?) and struggles to come out of it. There are many version of the butterfly story. Metamorphosis is always used as an effective theme for presentations and performances. It always inspire people that each has its own time to flourish and that we undergo stages to become beautiful creatures in sight and might. The “Overcome to become” state of thinking.That we may not understand fully what and why we undergo certain situations but we trust that it is part of a greater plan that is good and beneficial for us.

When I was younger, I always see myself like the caterpillar and always hopeful that I’d become a colorful big butterfly rather than the small yellow ones . As I grew older and became capable of pointing thoughts out intelligently (haherm!) and most of the time crazily, I realized I don’t want to associate my kind of life with butterflies  anymore. 


A butterfly flutters everywhere and I am the “first and forever” kind of person.  A flutterby just don’t fit my ideals maybe because I now seem to have established my preferences on some values. I don’t want to just flutter by, admired at, collected and displayed.

Now that I’m older, I wanted my life to be like that of a bumblebee, one that belongs to a community and has a specific part/task to do; one that contributes by getting a share of the work. A bumblebee that goes out in search of flowers to pollinate and brings precious nectar to a home that is waiting. One that stings when threatened (and if I sting, I will not die and that I can sting again). One that values hard work ,perseverance and experience.

A humblebee that is busy.  Yes, I wanted to be just like that.

“ aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway”

Aerodynamically it cannot fly when compared to that of an airplane model because bumblebees have large bodies and small wings. Mechanically, it can, because its wings don’t glide (like that of an airplane). The wings beat about 200 times per second and please read more to know the secret of their flight.(by clicking here)

Because it doesn't know it cannot fly, It flies anyway: usually what hinders us from flying are the negative things people tell us and mostly the things we tell ourselves. Yes, sometimes, ignorance is a bliss. When you don’t know, you just do your best and continue doing your best.

And even if someone told the bees that they cannot fly, they will fly anyway:  so I’m saying do not let other people initially calculate your capabilities. They usually sum up your abilities by what they see (your frame, your brand name etc.) .  That is because they lack additional factors to consider in solving the equation to what’s your worth is. Give them the values but then, even if the values are given already, there is no fixed or general equation that can be used for in calculating. So when someone tells you “you can’t”, you try (first)! You know yourself way more than anyone else.




Like the flight of the bumblebee I’d like to live life like this. Full of enthusiasm (breathless but alive!)



..as I grow older, I change perspective. As I experience more of life I realized there's a huge difference in merely "seeing life" than "actually living it". As life reveals its harshness,I pray that I won't take flight and leave my dreams behind..I pray that,just like a bumblebee,I will take flight against it and fight. (so help me God.)

P.S. The lifespan of a bumble bee might be shorter as that of 5 days (ooops!)* and so I'll just say, It's not the number of years you live but how you lived your years that matters. A life of quality and substance will leave a legacy that will last nthyears.

*a butterfly's lifespan ranges from 3-4 weeks to a maximum of a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment